Come with me and we will be in a world of pure imagination. To the confines of music and politics we go......

Thursday, June 22, 2006

National Anthems...

I have been in a phase of listening to The National. Churning it out 8 hours straight on the ipod at work. I got to thinking, how can anyone not like this band? Their album Alligator is my hands down pick for best record of 2005. I dare say an alt-rock masterpiece!! Matt Berninger is probably one of my favorite lyricists. A bunch of little bizarre one liners and subtle phrasings. If you have 25 minutes, check out lyrics here. If you have 5 minutes, here are pieces from some of my favorites.

"All the Wine"
I'm put together beautifully
Big wet bottle in my fist, big wet rose in my teeth
I'm perfect piece of ass
Like every Californian
So tall I take over the street, with highbeams shining on my back
A wingspan unbelievable
I'm a festival, I'm a parade

And all the wine is all for me
And all the wine is all for me
And all the wine is all for me

I'm a birthday candle in a circle of black girls
God is on my side
Cuz I'm the child bride
I'm so sorry but the motorcade will have to go around me this time
Cuz God is on my side
And I'm the child bride

"Karen"
Karen, we should call your father, maybe it's just a phase
He'll know the trick to get a wayward soul to change his ways
It's a common fetish for a doting man
to ballerina on the coffee table cock in hand

"Baby, We'll Be Fine"
I wake up without warning and go flying around the house
In my sauvignon fierce, freaking out
Take a forty-five minute shower and kiss the mirror
And say, look at me

"The Geese of Beverly Road"
Oh, come, come be my waitress and serve me tonight
Serve me the sky tonight
Oh, come, come be my waitress and serve me tonight
serve me the sky with a big slice of lemon

"Mr. November"
I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I'm the new blue blood, I'm the great white hope
I'm the new blue blood

I won't fuck us over, I'm Mr. November
I'm Mr. November, I won't fuck us over

"Cardinal Song"
never tell the one you want that you do
save it for the deathbed
when you know you kept her wanting you

"Fashion Coat"
I'm not stupid I swear
I read the foreign news to understand my nation
you get two options in The You Estates
black city bloodbath or white country rape

I die fast in this city
Outside I die so slow

1 Comments:

Blogger Dinner said...

Well done! Alligator is a fantastic record for sure.

"ballerina on the coffee table cock in hand"

Brilliant.

3:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home